There are lots of social enterprises in North Devon and we’ve helped several of them, from Lynton, Bideford and Barnstaple and right down to Plymouth.
It’s an increasingly complex area.
There are increasing number of vehicles available for not-for-profit enterprises. Besides the tradition social enterprise vehicles of charities (both incorporated and unincorporated) and Industrial & Provident Societies, there are now Community Interest Companies and soon there will be the Charitable Incorporated Organisation.
If you’re thinking of starting a community enterprise we can advise you on which structure, or combination of structures, best suits your needs. We can:
- Incorporate a Community Interest Company, including completing the necessary registration with the CIC Regulator;
- Advise as to whether that company should be limited by shares or by guarantee;
- Incorporate a charitable company with bespoke objects;
- Register your new charity with the Charity Commission for England & Wales; and,
- Register the charity with HM Revenue & Customs for Gift Aid and payroll donations.
If you already operate a social enterprise, we have extensive experience in dealing with charity and Community Interest Company accounts and taxation issues.
- Complete your annual accounts and submit them to Companies House and the Charity Commission as required;
- Ensure that your enterprise demonstrates a public benefit;
- Make sure your accounts are presented to best represent your enterprises’s activities on the public record;
- Complete annual returnas for the Community Interest Company to show how your CIC has served the public interest; and,
- Guide you through ever more complex charity and tax legislation.
If you need help with any of these issues, then contact us today.